Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sparkle 2012 review

Sparkle in a theater near you. Honestly, I only wanted to watch this film to see Whitney's performance. I didn't watch the original before seeing this one. The original came on BET the next day so I watched it then(that review is coming up next).

The film is about 3 sisters who form a singing group once convinced by a music manager that they have something special. The oldest sister is the wild one played by Carmen EjogoTika Sumpter plays the sister that doesn't want to sing but does it for the money. Jordin Sparks plays the sister that writes the music and falls in love with their manager. They have an overbearing God-fearing mother who doesn't want them to sing because of her past as a singer.

I chose this picture because it was my favorite look from their montage.  The acting was cool. Carmen Ejogo was the stand out performance.  The music is very catchy. At one point I felt like I was waiting for this film to pick up. There was never an exciting moment for me.  I'm not sure if a remake can be done that will be better than the original.  I think they should have gone ahead and brought it into 2012 instead of keeping it a period piece. In the end they made a different film. The thrill of these types of films is gone. The one final song that is supposed to have the audience in the theater shouting for joy and clapping is just getting lame. Although, after this one I was impressed with Jordin Sparks singing she has def. grown.  BTW the way if you were hoping for a lot of Cee-lo fun he is only in about 5 minutes of the movie.






1 comment:

  1. You're right, jordin sparks has really improved over the years. This film shows what she can really do with her talent and skill.

    ReplyDelete