Thursday, August 01, 2013

Fruitvale Station- review

"The best street movie since Boyz N the Hood" I heard this on the radio several times before I went to see it. That's a bold statement and although it is a good film I wouldn't call it a street movie. What little focus the story pays to the streets is just that the brother was trying to turn his life away from the ways of the street. I walked into this film emotional. I will never get the actual footage of him being shot out of my head. The fact that it can be watched again and again on youtube is absurd to me but another subject.
Fruitvale Station- is based on the real-life of Oscar Grant a day in his life. Someone said this is more like a character piece than a film with a plot. Yea okay that's a way to look at. The film shows you all the people important in his life his girlfriend, daughter, mom, friends, and family. Michael B. Jordan plays Oscar and he does a great job (one day he won't play a street kid). Octavia Spencer has some nice hair throughout the film lol I just had to say that. I cried like a baby at the end of the film. Being a mom now I see the world differently. I enjoyed the film and I think they did a great job of telling the story. The film paints the kid in a very positive light yet showing his aggressive side too. The pacing is slow but once they get to the subway it picks up. I def. say everyone should go see it. Will it win an oscar I don't know but it wasn't better than Beast of the Southern Wild however maybe just maybe those who vote will see this as a Hurt Locker and praise it for bringing current issues to the big screen.

Spoiler: At the end when they showed his daughter at the rally I was so sad.


4 1/2 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment