Saturday, December 07, 2013

Black Nativity- review




After watching this film and pondering it for a day my cousin and I picked this film apart. Now,my cousin wasn't film major and she isn't a filmmaker but her observations were certainly on point. She too felt why have the lead meet all these characters with no larger connection. We noted that the story is flawed in many ways but it begins with a huge illogical plot. How is it Jennifer Hudson's character hasn't spoken to her parents in 15 years and hates them but when she is getting evicted she sends her son to go stay with them. How did that phone conversation go? "Listen I know we don't talk and all but can you watch my son for a little while because I have to work and all my resources I have being using before have been exhausted?" No really and if she is okay with sending her son away why not just ask her parents for the money to pay your rent your asking for their help either way. Cheesy and corny yes but what it really lacked was a good story.  I may have bought it better if the son played by Jacob Latimore ran away to meet the family he never knew.
Okay here's my good remarks: Tyrese sounded great and should have sung more. Angela Bassett is aging well and gave a good performance. Forest Whitaker sings who knew. I have to also add his acting even in such a small non-complex role was solid. I liked the speech at the end and it would have been more powerful if the undertone of the film were telling the single mother you don't have to struggle alone. Okay!
One star.....

No comments:

Post a Comment