Monday, May 12, 2014

12 Years a Slave-review


Out on dvd at Redbox and perhaps your local library...
I really don't like to watch movies months after they have been hyped and won awards. I chose this image because I was on set that day working as an extra and made friendships and associations with many of the men in the picture. So proud of their screen time.

12 Years a Slave- is based on the book by Solomon Northup a free man kidnapped into slavery.

I don't know it's like I'm supposed to have sympathy the whole film for this man that was free that got kidnapped into slavery but not feel sorry for all the people that were also kidnapped into slavery but were never free before in America. That's where it loses me. Then Chiwetel Ejiofor's accent just bugs me for most of the film. Moving past those things. There are great cinematic moments in the film like the image above where many shots would make a great still shot. Michael Fassbender should have gotten more recognition. I like to judge movies based on would I like to watch them again. For this film that would be a no but you know I still give points for the craft, the execution, and the emotional impact.   That gives this film 3 1/2 stars

1 comment:

  1. 12 Years a Slave is one of the best movie i have ever seen. The movie has given us message previously how slavery used to have. Everybody should watch this movie and understand how cruel it is.

    ReplyDelete