Monday, July 07, 2014

Earth to Echo- review


Oh boy I liked a movie.
Earth to Echo-is about a town being forced to relocate due to the building of a new freeway.  Three kids that live there get a weird map on their phones and decide to follow the map as a last adventure before they all move away. On this adventure they are joined by a girl they all have a crush on and they discover a cute little alien that they name Echo.

The film is being compared to the major childhood films like ET, The Goonies, and the Lost Boys. For me my favorites were The Flight of the Navigator, Monster Squad,  and The Never-ending Story but maybe I just have different taste.  Although the Goonies was great too. Since I don't remember much about ET except that he wanted to get home the comparison to Echo makes sense because he also wants to get home. Earth to Echo is like the Goonies because the kids are all moving away soon (I think I remember something like that in the Goonies I know they needed money to stay).

Earth to Echo is cute. The characters are cute and the little alien is cute. The theme about friendship is sweet and I got a little emotional at the end remembering my childhood of having to move.  What it doesn't have is really memorable kids like The Goonies does. It still wins.  It's a simple story that utilized the basics well without needing a whole heap of special effects to you know make it special. I think it can stand alone without all the comparisons. I'm also happy to see a movie about real kids with no special powers and nobody dies.

 I'm going to give it four stars because I can.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zach I'm trying to write more analyzed reviews and keep this page updated.

    ReplyDelete