Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Boyhood-review



"Boyhood"-the twelve year film. This is the story of a young boy growing up. After, his parents divorce or breakup (can't remember if they were married) his mom has a handful of bad relationships and his life changes as he deals with these new men, puberty, and moving around.  I'm one of the few people in my circle that liked the film. Maybe it's because I'm a mom so I got invested in this kid. I don't think the film is about boyhood as much as it wanted to be. It's more about a boy's life and how his mom struggles to navigate life after a separation.

When, I think of a film about boyhood I think about bike adventures through town, first kisses, smoking, failing tests, running from dogs, etc....
This film isn't that at all. The few genuine moments of childhood don't require a gender to be attached.
There are cool moments of reminiscent things from the pass twelve years that made me nostalgic.
When the boy grows up I lost interest in the story a little.  He grows up to be a lot less interesting (to me) and some might say he hits an awkward stage. The last winning moment for me is when he is packing to leave for college. He shares a scene with his mom that made me cry.
Was it action packed? No, but it was fun to watch everyone in the film age and navigate life.

Three and a half stars

No comments:

Post a Comment