Thursday, July 23, 2015

Streaming: Beyond the Lights-review





I haven't seen that many new movies so I'm going to start reviewing new to dvd films and currently streaming films.

Beyond the Lights-  starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Nate Parker, Minnie Driver, and Danny Glover. 
Gugu Mbatha-Raw stars as a troubled pop singer named Noni, that falls for a cop played by Nate Parker. Through their relationship Noni embraces her true self and what we get is an intriguing love story. 


This is another film currently on Netflix. When I first got introduced to Gugu on her show Undercovers, I felt that she was a pretty woman and maybe a little too young looking to play that character but talented still.  Shortly after the cancellation of this show, she started popping up in more and more projects. Although, this film felt a bit lengthy in parts the plot is strong. The two stories being told one of two lovers and the other that of a complicated mother daughter relationship create a well rounded film. It isn't The Notebook where you just want to cry for the lovers the whole time but I think those that can relate to Noni might cry for her story. I really liked it! I haven't seen any other good new romance films that I can think of at the moment. 



2 comments:

  1. Lovely review. I've been meaning to see this one. I've adored Gugu since her days on 'Doctor Who.' When I first saw the poster and trailer for this movie I thought it was just another "pop star" vehicle film. I didn't realize they actually hired an accomplished actress for this role. Gugu was that convincing in the previews. When I saw that Mini Driver was in the film it made me want to see it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, you should def. check it out! I'm a fan of the writer/director as well so I figured it would be a good love story. It's a great romance for date night or a night in with yourself.

    ReplyDelete