Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Streaming: Nightcrawler- Review


Nightcrawler- Jake Gyllenhaal stars as a videographer/journalist interested in making money and gaining notoriety through capturing crime scene footage. He bumps heads with a news producer who rejects his early footage and come-ons. She sends him on his way but his ambitions to prove he has something good for her turns him into sort of a monster (if you don't think he was already). He hires an assistant and together they chase down a crime and the criminals who committed the crime. 

This is another film that got many great reviews. It took me several days to finish it, with Netflix giving me a hard time and my lack of time to focus on the film. Afterwards, I felt the film was good but not amazing. I do like the genre but somehow I just wasn't moved. I think if I saw this in the theater in one sitting I would have been like whew that was good this guy is crazy. So, I'll admit my review is a bit skewed. This of course needs to be applauded for minimal scene use and having such a great plot. As a person that does videography/video journalism myself and I am totally into forensics I dug the story a lot. The lead character is very well developed and Gyllenhaal has the look to play a creepy guy. Spoiler: I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. The story exposes the potential lack of compassion among journalist and the lead character is not punished for his actions. It's like the bad guy wins which is cool but I don't like this bad guy that much. He was a creep that needed a self-esteem boost. What do you think? 







Here's the trailer:

1 comment:

  1. Get daily suggestions and methods for making $1,000s per day ONLINE for FREE.
    JOIN NOW

    ReplyDelete