Thursday, July 09, 2015

What Happened, Miss Simone?- review


What Happened, Miss Simone?- The documenm is currently playing on Netflix. The film takes a look at Nina Simone the singer, musical composer, and pianntary film is currently playing on Netflix. The film takes a look at Nina Simone the singer, musical composer, and pianist. It documents her life focusing in on her mental health issues and milestones in her career.

I read a review of the film somewhere mid-film that threw me off and when I finished the film I got what they were saying. In the first few minutes, we are brought to a live performance by Nina Simone which completely engaged my interest. The musical numbers throughout the film are what give it it's perk. Yet, like the other reviewer said to my understanding is that the film didn't attempt to highlight her greatness instead it used a flaw in her life to paint a picture of the woman she was. The film documents her life focusing in on her mental health issues and some of the major milestones in her career. Looking back at the title of film I don't think we should be surprised. What it does do is ask the title question and it vaguely answers it. What I didn't walk away with was a feeling of joy to take part in a brief viewing of her life documented on film. However, as a fan of a few of her songs and now after viewing the performances shown I do feel a need to listen to more of her music.
Sadly, I'm left with a sort of sadness for her and reminded of how artistic genius mixed with the obstacles of life can get so ugly, ugly in a way we've seen happen to many other legends. (My rating is for the performance scenes)





2 comments:

  1. Hi nice review. It's always interesting to get a different look at some of the classic singers. Nina definitely had a different side to her, but then again everyone is multifaceted. Everyone has a dark side. Sometimes genius requires it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for replying! This was really my first time hearing about her temper and mental health issues. The film didn't totally drag her in the mud so yea I agree with your remarks.

    ReplyDelete