Monday, April 04, 2016

Concussion-review

Concussion- (it's been so long I feel like I may need to re-watch it to write this ha)
After, the Oscars So White hashtag and media buzz I was disappointed this film wasn't nominated.  I don't think the film was great but it was just as good as many of the other films I watched last year. I really hoped to cheer for Will Smith even though he could have been phenomenal he still would have lost to Leo.  I also think David Morse got snubbed. This wasn't a film that did anything for me and honestly I wouldn't want to watch it again. I think the script just failed the subject matter. The Oscars So White media frenzy also made it easy for the NFL to not have to address this. Sure, a few athletes and non-athletes attacked the NFL after learning what concussions can really do but little has changed.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure if the story intended to make the football players seem to drastically have mental health issues via the editing or if they just didn't give enough time to each players life. (I should get some sleep)What I mean is they introduced us to these characters briefly then killed them off in the next scene we saw them in.
I just didn't walk away in love with this character or feeling like he was a hero (he is) which I think is what they were going for. I have changed my mind about wanting my kids to play football. So, still a win for the film creators.

No comments:

Post a Comment