Friday, May 13, 2016

Miles Ahead - review

'Miles Ahead' is a new film directed by Don Cheadle and starring Don Cheadle who plays the lead role of Miles Davis in this biopic.  Without a doubt Don Cheadle is great in the role like everyone else is saying. The story and the film overall though hit highs and lows making it a good film but not perfect. I really wish they would have just covered his whole life instead of the story taking place during his time away from music. My critic blogger friend pretty much said that the character Francis Taylor who was Miles' wife played by Emayatzy Corinealdi was underdeveloped for the most part. Likewise, I'd say that the character of Miles Davis was also underdeveloped. To me the film felt like an episode of a TV show where by now you know this character well and you should want them to return to music. The film did little to welcome someone who knows nothing about Miles Davis into his life/career or expose them to his musical repertoire. Exposure to the music is usually the best part of these biopics about musicians, so this was a huge flaw to me. Not since the film 'Ray' has a non-documentary film got the job done. This was more like a biofiction film or there's a term for it that I can't think of at the moment, but with Ewan Mcgregor's character being fictitious I really don't get the point of the film. I hope that it could be possible to do a series of these films using album titles to highlight other periods of Miles' life. I think there could be a serious following for this even with a Netflix show instead. I kind of feel like I'm bashing the film but I'm not. I finished reading the autobiography of Miles Davis not too long ago and I am a huge Don Cheadle fan (like if he is in it I'm very likely to watch it).  It's unfortunate that you have to change your story to get it made or that sometimes as artist we don't get to say what we really want to say because of production pitfalls. Anyway, I did enjoy the film for Don and Ewan's performances and I'd likely watch it again. The editing and directing choices are stylish and give it a nice pace. I think that 'Get on Up' (yea I'm talking about this movie again) made similar editing choices that made that film confusing while in this film it kind of just gave the film a tempo. All that being said I'll give it 3 and half stars.


2 comments:

  1. I agree that there were some odd choices made in this film. Don Cheadle's performance is great though.

    - Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey
      Thanks for the comment! Yea, Don Cheadle is amazing I would love to see him in this role again and again.

      Delete