Sunday, May 15, 2016

Streaming: Chi-raq- review

Simply put, this film was far from a masterpiece. I get the message of the film but it got lost in this bad movie and the bad reviews surrounding it. The film didn't spark the conversations it needed to and like the film 'Concussion' focus shifted from the political issues to regular old societal judgmental bs. Spike did a great interview on the subject of violence and specifically the tragic state of Chicago, in the interview his point was made. I don't see why he chose to make a fictional narrative on the subject.

About the movie..... a group of females decide to stop having sex with men in their neighborhood to help cure the violence in their city. The dialogue rhymes as they use hip hop to speak to each other. Some viewers hated that so much it made it hard for them to watch the film. My problem with the film was basic movie reasons like a bad plot, a premise that should have been a book,  crazy editing, things like that. The acting wasn't bad though and the lead Teyonah Parris is pretty. I don't have much else to say.


2 comments:

  1. I really wanted to like this film, but it fell short for me as well. I actually think that this year's Barbershop 3: The Next Cut was a much better take on the subject.

    - Zach

    ReplyDelete